I tripped across a problem that I hope is just a bug. When I opened a connection with a bad server name I got a timeout (number -2). I expected a "SQL Server not found or..." exception (17) because that's what we've been getting since the dawn of time with ADO classic and ADO.NET 1.0 and 1.1.
Dim Cn as New SQLConnection
For those that can't read Visual Basic .NET...
Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection Cn = New SqlConnection("Server=fred;Integrated Security=SSPI;");
These throw a timeout (-2) exception--not a SqlException 17.
I'm testing the FebCTP Visual Studio 2005 with SQL Server 2005 in the same VPC.
Incidentelly, we now know why ADO.NET 2.0 is behaving like this. I can't reveal the reason (NDA), but I'm on top of the issue. I'll post something once we figure out what to do. Stay tuned.